Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A feijoada for Uncle STeve.

Dear Uncle STeve,

I hope this letter finds you well, even if you live in Melbourne.

I finally got to see the picture of us, taken that foggy morning in June when you were up here. It's pretty bad so I'm not going to post it. I'm sorry but I'm trying to maintain some standards here. Yes, yes, I know there are lots of blurry pictures in this blog, and they are a thorn in my paw.

Anyway, can you believe it? It's only 20 more sleeps till Spring!
The tulip magnolia tree outside is already making a slippery mess and I suppose soon, the jasmine hedge will be blooming and making us all sneeze.

I'm very excited though, because as you know, I'm A Dog Of Little Hair and it'll be nice not to have to wear my blankie around the house all day, and be able to swim again without catching pneumonia.

But, back to the feijoada recipe.

My stay-at-home human is rushing it to you so you can enjoy it before winter's over [though it tastes pretty good in summer too].

She remembers the wonderful duck curry recipe you shared with her years ago. It's still her favourite. I've never had it so I can't comment.

She says to warn you that her feijoada recipe is NOT VERY AUTHENTIC but she hopes you'll enjoy it anyway.

She also says you'll be able to get all the ingredients easily at any supermarket, I'm sure even in Melbourne. Except maybe for those pesky little black beans.

P.S. You can see in the pictures that I helped make it today.


A Feijoada For Uncle STeve

500g black beans [little ones, NOT turtle, NOT the ones you get at Chinatown either. Try Brazilian/Portuguese shops.]
2kg of smoked meats and sausages [pork, pork ribs, bacon, bacon hocks, chorizos, pepperoni, etc. If you're going for authentic, I suppose snouts, ears and tails : p]
Garlic to taste [I use at least 1 whole garlic] - chopped
I large brown onion - chopped
4-5 bay leaves
2 tbsp vinegar - or to taste
Cracked black pepper - to taste
Salt - to taste

NIGHT BEFORE
Rinse and soak beans in cold water.

***
1. Bring beans to boil from cold water, then simmer for about 30 minutes.

2. Cut sausages/pork/bacon into chunky pieces. If using hock/ribs, leave whole.
I got sent out of the kitchen right after this.
3. In a big heavy pot/dutch oven, fry garlic, onion, bay leaves in olive oil.

4. When softened, add pieces of meat. Fry till meat releases some oil/is browned.

5. Add whole ribs/hock to pot and enough water/chicken stock to cover the meat.

6. Close lid, bring to boil, then simmer for about 1 hour. Stir occasionally.

7. Add beans and enough water to cover the meat. [Use the water the beans were boiling in. Put aside any excess liquid. You can use this later if the stock in the pot reduces too much.]

8. Add vinegar.

9. Braise for another hour, or till beans and meat are tender [or falling off the bone if using hock/ribs].

10. If there is too much stock, lift lid and allow it to reduce [to your satisfaction].

11. Serve with steamed white rice or fried garlic rice, greens and orange/mandarin segments.

This is an old picture because my stay-at-home human was too lazy to take one of the feijoada she made today.


If you don't know how to make garlic fried rice, you'll have to write my stay-at-home human so she can send you the recipe. She wants to take a nap now.

Good Luck! Lots of love and say hi to Inky and Flash for me.

xox, your Georgia Little Pea.

2 comments:

Chapeuzinho said...

nom nom nom. I am sending a link to your blog to my out-at-work-human. mmmmmm yummy!

georgia little pea said...

o yay! take a picture when it's cooked and send it to us! : )